Active blended learning at the University of Northampton
Here are some tips for effective design (adapted from University of Northampton’s Overcoming barriers to student engagement with Active Blended Learning.)
- Ensure there is an explicit relationship between online components of the course and face-to-face sessions.
- Connect face-to-face and online components so that face-to-face sessions use the outputs of online components or vice versa.
- Ensure that staff are regularly visible online.
- Avoid repetition of content in the classroom that has already appeared online and vice versa.
- Progressively increase digital and cognitive skill requirements over time.
- Clarify the value of online activities and the skills learned eg in relation to employability
- Vary the tools and types of activity but strike a balance between always doing the same thing and overloading different tools.
- The tool, the task or the knowledge can be new and challenging but avoid all three at the same time.